Friday 24th September
First of all, we’d like to say a huge well done to all the children for making it to the end of their first full week. Although we are all feeling a little tired, the children have shown great resilience and have worked hard this week.
The children are settling well into their new school routine, and the whole EYFS team are very proud of how quickly they are picking up the ‘Chilton Way.’
This week we have continued our sounds sessions. We have learned the following sounds: d, t, i, n and p. During our sounds sessions, we learn a little rhyme to help us remember how the letter is formed. For example, for d we say, ‘around the dinosaur’s bottom, up his tall neck and down to his feet.’
We also get time to practise writing our new sound, and some review sounds, and play a sound game. This week we have played sound bingo, an initial sounds game and blending game.
All of our new sounds from this week will be in the children’s sound books being sent home today. Please continue to practise these with your child, so they can recognise the sound when they see it.
In maths this week, children have been counting objects in an irregular pattern. We learnt that some objects cannot be moved, so we crossed them out as we counted. If they could be moved, we counted as we moved the object to one side. We practised this skill with different pictures, using the cones outside and by collecting and counting items from the forest school. We also used cubes and bears to count an irregular pattern. Some children liked to line the objects up to then count them, whereas others moved them to one side as they counted.
We focussed on what we look like this week in topic. We discussed what a self-portrait is and used mirrors to look at ourselves and describe what we could see. We each drew a self-portrait and compared them to our friends’. Then we discussed our similarities and differences, we talked about who had the same eye and hair colours, who was taller and who was shorter and celebrated our differences.
- There is a family fun day on Friday 1st October from 3:25- 5 on the top field.
- If you wish for your child’s book from the book corner to be changed, please put it in the box outside their classroom in the morning. Please feel free to keep the book for a couple of nights if your child wishes to do so.
- Mrs Cheshire has created a video to share some important information with you. If you have any problems accessing the video, please let us know as it contains lots of useful bits!
- Sounds books need to be returned on a Thursday and will be sent home on a Friday.
- We always welcome junk modelling (boxes, egg boxes, plastic bottles etc) so that the children can get creative at Busy Time.
- Sorry for any confusion regarding the day in which your child needs to wear trainers to school. It is a Tuesday for Team Topaz and Wednesday for Team Aqua.
Enjoy your weekend!
The EYFS Team