Friday 8th October
We have had another fabulous week in Reception this week. The children have been doing some super learning and have certainly embraced our values of kindness and respect this week. We have taught the children how to be polite and respectful towards other people in the school by greeting them politely or responding appropriately if they are spoken to. We have also been teaching them to show respect at lunchtime by saying ‘No thank you’ or ‘Yes please’ to the cooks in the kitchen. It has been delightful to see these manners on show this week!
This week we have recapped the sounds we have already learned this term. This gives the children time to consolidate these sounds. You will find in the sounds books that we have asked for you to practise the already taught sounds at home. You can also play games at home with oral blending e.g. I spy with my little I a ‘b-ir-d’. See if the children can say that you have said bird. You could also give instructions e.g. ‘Please put on your c-oa-t.’
This week we have been subitising. This is where children can look at a number of objects and say how many there are without counting. We have done this in class by looking at objects in a picture, using the dots on a dice and dots on dominoes. We then used our counting skills to check we had subitised correctly.
This week we have started our new topic ‘On the Farm’ and we have been reading ‘What the Ladybird Heard’. We have been using drama to retell the story, thinking about the characters and how they feel in the story and retelling the story by sequencing the key events. We have also learned some farm songs and have learned some sign language for the farm animals.
- Sounds books need to be returned on a Thursday and will be sent home on a Friday.
- Little star sheets can be completed any time and returned to school at any time. If you require extra copies, please just ask your child’s class teacher.
- Please help your child to count up their smiley cards. Remember, once they have 25, they need to return them to their teacher and they will receive a prize.
- Please ensure that everything is labelled so that we can make sure that jumpers/cardigans/coats etc can go home with the right children! Thank you!
- We always welcome junk modelling (boxes, egg boxes, plastic bottles etc) so that the children can get creative at Busy Time.
- PE kits to be worn by all children in Reception all day each Friday.
- Trainers to be worn with school uniform on a Tuesday for Team Topaz and Wednesday for Team Aqua.
We thank you all for your support so far this year. We hope the children get lots of rest this weekend ready for another fun week next week!
The EYFS Team
Please enter some content for your blog post here.