15th November 2021
Well done to all of the children for reaching the end of the penultimate week of term. We have definitely earnt this weekend break, as we have had another fantastic week of learning here in reception.
We have introduced another 5 new sounds this week, these can be found in your child’s pink sound book b, f, e, l and h. Please listen carefully to how your child is saying these sounds to ensure they are saying it in their purest form. This is important for blending to ensure the children can hear the word they are sounding out. Some sounds such as f and h, don’t need our voices, we talk about the shape of our mouths when we are making each sound and where our tongues should be. We have also been practising blending, which is where we say the sounds in a word eg c-a-t and try to hear the word- cat.
In maths this week, we have been learning about length. We learnt some new vocabulary long, short, longer and shorter, longest and shortest. We have been absolutely amazed at how confident the children have been to identify long and short objects, and then compare objects’ lengths also. We had fun activities including going up to the forest school to compare the lengths of sticks we found.
This week we have continued our topic ‘On the Farm’ and we have been reading ‘Little Red Hen’. We learnt all about wheat, how it grows and then how it is made into flour at the mill. In the story, the Little Red Hen’s friends didn’t help her, so we all helped her to make some bread using the flour she had made at the mill. We remembered to wash our hands before helping and touching the ingredients. We enjoyed kneading the dough and watching it rise before putting it into the oven. We hope the children enjoyed eating their bread as much as they did making it. We also learnt about different animal body parts including mane, udders, trotters, snout, paws, webbed feet, beak, hooves, wool and fur. We used what we had learnt about animal body parts and animal babies to play a game of what animal am I? This was a great opportunity to practise our speaking in front of a group.
- Individual photos are on Tuesday 19th October.
- Non school uniform day is Friday 22nd October for Chilton Fundraisers. It is also our PE day so please can children wear appropriate footwear.
- Children will be coming home with a white bag today. Please can they decorate this bag and add a small gift inside. Please return the bag to then be sold after school to children on Wednesday. All money will go towards Chilton Fundraisers.
- Friday 22nd October will be the last day of term.
- Monday 1st November is an Inset day so the children’s first day back will be Tuesday 2nd November.
- Thursday 11th November children can come in to school wearing their service uniforms for Armistice Day.
- Monday 15th November - odd sock day for anti-bullying week.
- Friday 19th November - pyjama day for Children in Need.
- Friday 19th November- parent book look prior to parent teacher consultations 3:15- 3:45.
Enjoy your weekend everyone! We’ll see you next week for our last week of term.
The EYFS Team