Friday 18th September
What a wonderful week we have had!
We could not be more proud of how the children have settled back into school life! Rules and routines are now fully in place and the children have responded so well. Their concentration is improving daily and we are already seeing huge progress; so well done Team Turquoise and Team Cyan.
In maths this week, have focused on number recognition and comparing quantities. With number recognition we began by recapping how to form our numbers correctly. We had fun writing them in sand and paint, as well as making them with playdoh. Following this we focused in on recognising numbers 10-19. We looked for patterns in the numbers and discussed why the numbers all began with a 1. We finished off the week by comparing objects using words such as more, less, greater than, less than and equal to.
In English, we moved from doing whole class Read, Write Inc (RWI) and moved into our RWI groups. Some of us started to learn our set 2 sounds and read a story called 'On the bus'. Some of us are still reviewing out set one sounds, focusing on ch, sh, th, qu, ng and nk. We have all been reading and writing words and moving onto writing small sentences. We have all read daily in our groups.
In PSHE we started off the week by learning about our feelings. We looked at faces and tried to decide how the children were feeling and discussed what might make them feel that way. We watched a funny clip from Monsters Inc and considered how Mike's emotions changed and why. We moved onto thinking about friendships and what makes a good friend. In doing this we discussed falling out and how to apologise. We also spoke about loneliness and what we can do if we feel lonely or spot another person who is feeling lonely.
Reminders and notices
- We are looking to create a sensory garden in our outside area. If anyone has any plant pots, herbs or plants with a strong smell e.g. lavender they could donate we would be hugely grateful.
- PE is on a Tuesday, many thanks for sending in PE kits. If you haven’t done so yet, please make sure it is in school for next Tuesday.
- Thank you for your support in not coming in to the classrooms or conservatory in the mornings and at the end of the day. The children have shown great independence in being able to sort their things in the mornings – well done!
- A polite reminder that children are not able to bring things in from home at the moment. If you could remind them about this, we would be very grateful.
- We will be starting our new topic on Monday 28th September called 'What I want to be when I grow up'. In this we will explore jobs people do. To prepare your child for this it would be great if you could discuss with them the jobs people in their family do.
- Also as part of this topic we will be making fire engines. If you could send in any old cardboard boxes that would be great.
Have a wonderful weekend!