Team Ocean and Team Sky’s School Day
I have had a few emails from parents asking what does a day at school look like so I have created a run through on what we do on a daily basis. There is no expectation for you to follow a similar routine but the information is here for you to use as you wish!
- Morning Journal – every day we start with a fun fact of the day, a playlist playing (we theme this each week so it could be Elton John, Queen, Whitney Houston, Beyonce… whoever!) and we always always always start the day with some form of open question for the children to let out how they are feeling in a safe way. For example:
- What did you have for breakfast? What was the best bit?
- What colour are you feeling today?
- What were you 3 top things of the morning so far?
- If you could have the worlds best dream, what would happen?
- We then complete a mindfulness activity, this could be peer massage, yoga or some mindfulness colouring. This is to ensure we are ready to start the day right and in the right frame of mind.
- We then have Guided Reading where we explore a book. The main aspects we look at are predicting, questioning, clarifying, summarising, poetry and comprehension.
- Guided Reading then links into English. We use the same book that we are looking at in Guided Reading in English. Things that we usually focus on include: adjectives, noun phrases, verbs, adverbs, sentence openers, commas in a list, punctuation (full stops, commas, exclamation marks, question marks), first person, past and present tense.
- Play time! This includes use of toilet, having a snack and a drink.
- After we have Maths. The structure of the lesson usually goes:
- Mental Oral Starter (counting in steps of 2, 3, 5 and 10, number bonds to 10, 20 and 100, partitioning numbers etc) to get the brain warmed up.
- Focus Question – a question that gets the children to think and have a go. It doesn’t matter if we get it wrong because we are about to learn about it!
- Maths input – learn something knew
- Partner Prac – we have a go with our partner
- Challenge where we complete the learning by ourselves.
- Spellings, Punctuation and Grammar – SpaG, this could be spellings of common exception words, learning or having a go at using punctuation or checking grammar sentences.
- Lunch Time!
- 1K a day or peer massage to get us in the right mindset for the rest of the afternoon.
- Topic/Values/ RE
- End of the day
Please enter some content for your blog post here.